Skilled Visas without an Employer

Australian Working Visas Without Business Sponsors

Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190

The 190 Visa is a permanent visa that allows skilled workers to live in Australia, based on a nomination by an Australian state or territory.

What does this visa allow you to do?

This visa provides the holder with Australian permanent residency with no conditions. The holder can live and work indefinitely in their chosen state. Although the visa is granted based on the holder being skilled in a specific occupation, once granted, the visa doesn’t require you to seek or maintain employment in this occupation.

Who can apply for the Subclass 190 visa?

This visa is available to applicants who are skilled in an occupation on a state or territory occupation list. Each state or territory has its own individual list, depending on the skill shortages in that area.

How do I qualify for a Subclass 190 Visa?

To apply for a Skilled Independent Subclass 190 visa, you must meet a minimum score on a points test.

Once you have confirmed you meet the points test, the applicant will need to obtain a successful migration skills assessment outcome in their chosen occupation.

The steps required to achieve this will vary depending on the occupation. Your migration agent can assist you with this step as part of the overall visa process. Applicants for this visa must be under 45 years of age and meet health, character and English language requirements.

How do I apply for a subclass 190 visa?

Once the above steps have been followed, an applicant can lodge an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect and be invited to submit a visa application by the Department of Home Affairs.

An applicant for a 190 visa must be issued with a nomination by their chosen state or territory. The requirements for this differ depending on the state or territory in question, as does the application process an applicant must follow. For example, some states require that you apply separately for state nomination through their website, whereas others simply want you to declare that you are seeking nomination in your EOI. Your registered migration agent will be able to advise on this in detail.

Once you are invited to apply for your 190 visa, you must lodge your application within 60 days.

For this reason, it is very important that you have all required documentation prepared to lodge as soon as possible after receiving the invitation.

Common Scenarios

I have calculated my own points and believe I meet the pass mark

One of the most common pitfalls of this visa type occurs when applicants calculate their points without consulting a migration agent, and accidentally over-inflate these points. Due to departmental restrictions on what can and cannot be counted, this is a very easy mistake.

Lodgement of a visa application whereby the points claimed cannot be sufficiently evidenced, will result in a visa refusal. Seeking the advice of a registered migration agent or immigration agent can prevent this from occurring.

My occupation is subject to an “Occupational Ceiling”

Although the “pass mark” for the points test is 65 points, some occupations will require higher points in order for the applicant to be invited. For example, Accountants will require significantly higher points.

It is important that applicants are aware of the likelihood of being invited to apply for this visa when they lodge their EOI. An applicant who is in Australia as the holder of a temporary visa, will need to be invited to apply for, and lodge, the subclass 190 visa before this temporary visa expires, or leave the country to apply.

Our Service

TSS Immigration provides a full service right through to application finalisation including eligibility assessment, skills assessments, state nomination applications, and visa application lodgement. We will ensure that the application process is as seamless as possible, corresponding with DIBP on your behalf in line with all relevant deadlines, whilst ensuring that applicants are kept fully informed of their progress.

Speak to an Agent

Discuss the specifics of your migration situation and receive professional advice from one of our Registered Migration Agents