Skilled Visas without an Employer

Australian Working Visas Without Business Sponsors Book a Consultation

Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 489

The 489 Visa allows skilled workers to live and work in specified regional areas in Australia for up to four years.

What does this visa allow you to do?

This visa provides the holder with Australian temporary residency with conditions. The holder can live, work and study in a specified region of Australia. The holder can travel freely to and from Australia while the visa is valid, and may have the opportunity to apply for permanent residency through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa.

Who can apply for the Subclass 489 visa?

This visa is available to applicants who are skilled in an occupation on a state or territory occupation list. Each state or territory has its own individual list, depending on the skill shortages in that area.

How do I qualify for a Subclass 489 visa?

To qualify for a Subclass 489 visa, you need to be sponsored by either a relative living in a designated area or a State or Territory Government.

Sponsorship by a Relative Living in a Designated Area

You can apply for a Subclass 489 visa if you are sponsored by a relative living in a Designated Area.

The relative must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen. The following relatives can sponsor for the Subclass 489 visa:

• Parents
• Brothers and Sisters
• Uncles and Aunts
• Nephews and Nieces
• First Cousins
• Grandparents

You must pass skills assessment in an occupation on the Independent or Family Sponsored Occupations List prior to receiving an EOI invitation.

If you are sponsored by a relative, you will need to live for 2 years and work full time for 12 months in a regional or low population growth area to qualify for permanent residence through the Skilled Regional Subclass 887 visa.

Nomination by a State or Territory Government
An applicant for a State Nominated 489 Visa must be issued with a nomination by their chosen state or territory. The requirements for this differ depending on the state or territory in question, as does the application process an applicant must follow. For example, some states require that you apply separately for state nomination through their website, whereas others simply want you to declare that you are seeking nomination in your EOI. Your registered migration agent will be able to advise on this in detail.

You must pass skills assessment in your chosen occupation prior to receiving an EOI invitation.

If you are nominated by a state or territory government, you will need to live for 2 years and work full time for 12 months in a regional or low population growth area to qualify for permanent residence through the Skilled Regional Subclass 887 visa.

Whichever eligibility pathway you choose, all applicants must meet a minimum score on a points test.

Once you have confirmed that you meet the points test, the applicant will need to obtain a successful migration skills assessment outcome in their chosen occupation.

The steps required to achieve this will vary depending on the occupation. Your migration agent can assist you with this step as part of the overall visa process.

Applicants for this visa must be under 45 years of age and meet health, character and English language requirements.

How do I apply for a subclass 489 visa?

An applicant can lodge an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect and be invited to submit a visa application by the Department of Home Affairs.

An applicant for a 489 visa must be issued with a nomination by their chosen state or territory, or obtain family sponsorship.

Once you are invited to apply for your 489 visa, you must lodge your application within 60 days.

For this reason, it is very important that you have all required documentation prepared to lodge as soon as possible after receiving the invitation.

Common Scenarios

I have calculated my own points and believe I meet the pass mark

One of the most common pitfalls of this visa type occurs when applicants calculate their points without consulting a migration agent, and accidentally over-inflate these points.

Due to departmental restrictions on what can and cannot be counted, this is a very easy mistake. Lodgement of a visa application whereby the points claimed cannot be sufficiently evidenced, will result in a visa refusal. Seeking the advice of a registered migration agent or immigration agent can prevent this from occurring.

My occupation is subject to an “Occupational Ceiling”

Although the “pass mark” for the points test is 65 points, some occupations will require higher points in order for the applicant to be invited. For example, Accountants will require significantly higher points.

It is important that applicants are aware of the likelihood of being invited to apply for this visa when they lodge their EOI. An applicant who is in Australia as the holder of a temporary visa, will need to be invited to apply for, and lodge, the subclass 489 visa before this temporary visa expires.

Our Service

TSS Immigration will provide accurate and informed migration advice, ensuring that your application is as seamless as possible throughout. We will assist with the application in its entirety, from the initial eligibility assessment, to application lodgement and management, right through to obtaining the optimum migration outcome for you and your family members.

Speak to an Agent

Discuss the specifics of your migration situation and receive professional advice from one of our Registered Migration Agents

Book a Consultation
Enquire Now

Fill out the form below and we will contact you soon.