Skilled Visas without an Employer

Australian Working Visas Without Business Sponsors

Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485

The 485 Visa is a temporary visa for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution.

What does this visa allow you to do?

This visa allows the holder to live, work and study in Australia once you have completed your studies.

Who can apply for the Subclass 485 visa?

Applicants must be under 50 years of age, hold a student visa (or a Bridging Visa A or B following a student visa), have been awarded a qualification from a CRICOS registered course within the last 6 months, and meet additional requirements specific to their chosen stream. Family members may be included in an application for a subclass 485 visa if they are also in Australia.

How do I qualify for a Subclass 485 visa?

There are two streams through which an applicant may obtain a 485 visa.

The Graduate Stream: For international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation MLTSSL. A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.

The Post-Study Work Stream: This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. International students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study, may be eligible. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.

Applicants in this stream must obtain a positive skills assessment in their occupation.

How do I apply for a subclass 489 visa?

Applicants for a 485 visa, as well as any migrating family members, must be in Australia at the time of lodgement of the application, and at the time of decision. Applicants must provide evidence that they have applied for the relevant police checks, as well as a skills assessment if applicable, within the 12 months prior to lodgement. Applicants must also demonstrate the requisite English language ability and hold sufficient health insurance at the time of application.

Common Scenarios

I completed my Australian qualification as the holder of a student visa 3 months ago. I am now on a Bridging Visa A, having submitted another application, but have decided that I would like to apply for a subclass 485 visa instead. Is this possible in my situation?

Yes. Holders of a Bridging Visa A, or B may apply for a subclass 485 visa, provided the last substantive visa they held was a student visa, they have not been subject to visa cancellation or refusal, and all other eligibility criteria are met.

I intend on lodging a 485 visa, and applying for my police checks and health insurance while I’m waiting for the visa to be processed. Is this acceptable?

No. Applicants must provide evidence that they have applied for police checks and hold health insurance at the time of application for the subclass 485 visa, or this visa cannot be granted. This 'time of application' criteria also applies to skills assessments and English language test results.

Our Service

TSS immigration assists 485 visa applicants with all steps of the process, identifying the correct stream for the individual application and navigating the complexities associated with each. We provide expert advice and application management throughout, from the skills assessment stage, right through to achieving the best possible migration outcome for our clients.

Speak to an Agent

Discuss the specifics of your migration situation and receive professional advice from one of our Registered Migration Agents