Employer Sponsored Visas

Explore your Migration Pathways

Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa Subclass 494

The subclass 494 visa is a provisional residency visa available to skilled workers. It is available both to skilled workers who are already living and working in Australia as temporary residents, and to skilled workers living outside Australia. To be eligible for this visa, a worker must be skilled in an occupation on the Regional Occupation List and be nominated by an employer in a designated regional area.

What does this visa allow you to do?

Once a 494 visa is granted, provided the visa holder maintains the nominated employment within the designated regional area, they can remain in Australia for up to five years, with a permanent residency pathway available after three years. Dependent family members may be included and must also live, work and study in a designated regional area.

Who can apply for the Subclass 494 visa?

Skilled workers with an occupation on the ROL can apply for these visa provided they are subject to an employer nomination. You must be the holder of a substantive visa, or a bridging visa A, B or C to make a valid application within Australia.

How do I qualify for a Subclass 494 Visa?

In order to be eligible for a 494 visa, primary applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • Be between the ages of 18 and 44
  • Have Competent English or higher, and their dependent family members over 18 years of age have at least Functional English
  • Hold a positive skill assessment in the nominated occupation
  • Have at least 3 years of relevant skilled work experience
  • Meet health and character requirements

How do I apply for a subclass 494 visa?

An employer nomination must be lodged on behalf of an applicant before a visa application can be made. This nomination will outline the nominated occupation, terms and conditions of employment, and the financial viability of the nominating business. Employers must also detail how the position came to be available and justify the need to nominate the applicant. The nomination must also be accompanied by the Skilling Australia Fund levy. A corresponding visa application can then be submitted.

Common Scenarios

I have been granted a 482 visa based on an occupation which is on the STSOL. My sponsor and employment are based in a regional postcode. Can I apply for a 494 visa?

Yes. Provided you meet the eligibility criteria for the Subclass 494 visa and your sponsor is willing to support you, you may apply to move onto this visa type from a 482 visa.

My current visa is due to expire and I intend on lodging a 494 visa application. My occupation of Chef requires that I first obtain a skills assessment. Due to time constraints, can I obtain a skills assessment post-lodgement?

No. Unless an exemption is met, skills assessments are a time of application criteria.

Our Services

TSS assists visa applicants and their employers throughout these applications, identifying the correct occupation for the individual application and navigating the complexities associated with each. We provide advice and application management from start to finish to ensure the best possible migration outcome. We also assist with the skills assessment process where applicable.

Speak to an Agent

Discuss the specifics of your migration situation and receive professional advice from one of our Registered Migration Agents